ABOUT THE PROGRAM
The Hirshhorn’s Gallery Guide program is a unique and rewarding experience. Guides get to conduct exhibition research and spend a significant amount of time working with the art in our Collection and special exhibitions, but the program offers much more than that. You will spend your days looking at art, discussing art, engaging people with art, and inspiring people to slow down and experience art in new and exciting ways. Additionally, you will meet museum professionals who will help you gain a behind-the-scenes understanding of the exhibition process. Working with aspiring museum professionals, art enthusiasts, visitors, and staff members is an ideal opportunity to meet new friends and professional contacts that can help you develop your career goals or broaden your personal connection with art. The program is challenging, but it is also an invaluable opportunity that is full of possibilities for the right candidate.
SUMMER SESSION 2016: May 15 – September 4
- Training will take place from May 15 – 21.
- Guides will be in the galleries daily from May 22 – September 4.
- New Gallery Guides will have 12 hours of gallery shifts per week. Returning Guides will have the option to only work 8 hours of gallery shifts per week.
- Gallery Shifts are generally scheduled daily from 10:30 am – 12:30 pm, 12 – 3 pm, and 2:30 – 4:30 pm.
- Each Guide will be assigned a 2 hour Research Shift.
- A required one hour meeting takes place weekly to continue trainings, to discuss tours and the program, and to meet with other staff members for furthering understanding of and gaining insight into the exhibitions and museum.
HOW TO JOIN – Summer 2016
We encourage a diverse pool of applicants with backgrounds in studio arts, art education, art history, museum studies, philosophy, communications, and other related fields. Guides should be curious, inquisitive, and enthusiastic, with a strong interest in learning about modern and contemporary art.
Application Deadline: Rolling application through May 1, 2016
Email the following to HMSGGuides@si.edu with subject: LastName_GG (ex. Smith_GG)
- Cover letter (Tell us why you would like to become a Gallery Guide)
- Copy of transcript (unofficial or official)
- 2 letters of recommendation