ABOUT THE PROGRAM
The Hirshhorn’s Gallery Guide program is a unique and rewarding experience. Guides get to conduct exhibition research and spend a significant amount of time working with the art in our Collection and special exhibitions, yet the program offers much more than that. You will spend your days looking at art, discussing art, engaging people with art, and inspiring people to slow down and experience art in new and exciting ways. Additionally, you will meet museum professionals who will help you gain a behind-the-scenes understanding of the exhibition process. Working with aspiring museum professionals, art enthusiasts, visitors, and staff members is an ideal opportunity to meet new friends and professional contacts that can help you develop your career goals. The program is challenging, but it is also an invaluable opportunity that is full of possibilities for the right candidate.
SUMMER PROGRAM 2015: MAY 18 – SEPT 4
- Training will take place from May 18 – May 29. Training sessions are scheduled for 10 am – 1 pm on Mondays, Thursdays, and Fridays.
- Guides will be in the galleries daily from May 29 – Friday, September 4.
- New Gallery Guides will have 12 hours of gallery shifts per week. Returning Guides and former Docents will have 5 hours of gallery shifts per week.
- Gallery Shifts are scheduled daily from 10:30 am – 12:30 pm, 12 – 3 pm, and 2:30 – 4:30 pm.
- Each Guide will be assigned a Research Team. Teams meet on Mondays from 10 am – 12 pm, Tuesdays from 2 – 4 pm, OR Fridays from 11 am – 1pm.
- Weekly meetings to continue trainings and meet with other staff members will be held on Fridays from 10 – 11 am.
HOW TO JOIN – SUMMER 2015
We encourage a diverse pool of applicants with backgrounds in studio arts, art education, art history, museum studies, philosophy, communications, and other related fields. Guides should be curious, inquisitive, and enthusiastic, with a strong interest in learning about modern and contemporary art.
Application Deadline: March 27
Email the following to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject: LastName_IG (ex. Maruca_IG)
- Cover letter
- 2 letters of recommendation (may be sent separately)