ABOUT THE PROGRAM
The Hirshhorn’s Gallery Guide Internship program is a unique and rewarding experience. Gallery Guides encourage discussion within the museum as well as give both public and private tours. As a Gallery Guide, you are the first to engage with the museum visitor. You will facilitate visitors’ experiences surrounding modern and contemporary art and encourage dialogue aimed at enhancing their visual skills. Guides conduct exhibition research and spend a significant amount of time working with the art in our Collection and special exhibitions. You will spend your days looking at art, engaging people with art, and inspiring people to slow down and experience art in new and exciting ways. Additionally, you will meet museum professionals who will help you gain a behind-the-scenes understanding of the exhibition process. Working with aspiring museum professionals, art enthusiasts, visitors, and staff members is an ideal opportunity to meet new friends and professional contacts that can help you develop your career goals. The program is challenging, but it is also an invaluable opportunity that is full of possibilities for the right candidate.
SPRING SESSION 2016: JANUARY 11 – MAY 13
- New Guides will commit to a total of 15 hours a week within the Museum. 12 hours dedicated to guiding, 2 hours dedicated to conducting research, and 1 hour committed to our weekly Friday meetings.
- Training will take place from January 11 – 25. Training sessions are scheduled 3 days a week from 10 am – 1 pm.
- Guides will be in the galleries daily from January 23 – May 13.
- Gallery Shifts are scheduled daily from 10:30 am – 12:30 pm, 12 – 3 pm, and 2:30 – 4:30 pm.
- Each Guide will be assigned a 2 hour Research Team.
- Weekly meetings to continue trainings and meet with other staff members will be held on Fridays from 10 – 11 am.
HOW TO JOIN – SPRING 2016
We encourage a diverse pool of applicants with backgrounds in studio arts, art education, art history, museum studies, philosophy, communications, and other related fields. Guides should be curious, inquisitive, and enthusiastic, with a strong interest in learning about modern and contemporary art.
Application Deadline: Accepted on rolling basis until January 1, 2016
Interviews: January 4, 2016
Email the following to HMSGeducation@si.edu with subject: LastName_GG (ex. Smith_GG)
- Cover letter
- Copy of transcript (unofficial or official)
- 2 letters of recommendation