- This event has passed.
All tickets for this program have been claimed.
Sign up for the waitlist by emailing email@example.com and we will notify you if a spot opens up. Never miss another event! Sign up for our email newsletter to add more art to your calendar.
PLEASE NOTE: The start time for the furry fashion contest parade has changed to 10 am.
The Hirshhorn is hosting its first-ever dog-friendly event, just in time for Halloween. Join us with (or without) your dog for a morning of costumes and coffee in the Hirshhorn’s outdoor Sculpture Garden. Dress up your pup, and if they’re feeling fierce, sign them up to strut their stuff in our furry fashion contest for the chance to win a few special prizes. Local experts District Dogs will be there to keep the dog party going with free activities like peanut butter portraits. This event is open to all ages, and kids are encouraged to join in the fun with Hirshhorn-inspired creative projects geared toward little artists.
Hirshhorn Insider members are invited to come early for a pre-event social, starting at 9 am. Come meet fellow art-lovers. Not a Hirshhorn Insider yet? Join now!
The Hirshhorn does not take dog fashion lightly. We’ve gathered a panel of local dog-lovers to judge the contest. And because you don’t need opposable thumbs to set trends, a number of fur-fluencers will also be in attendance.
This event is part of a series of outdoor celebrations the Hirshhorn is hosting throughout the fall to welcome visitors back to its campus.
9–9:30 am | Hirshhorn Insider Member Social
9:30 am | Dolcezza coffee, dog-friendly activities, and kid-friendly activities
10 am | Furry fashion contest parade (advance registration required). Capacity to participate is limited. All are welcome (and encouraged!) to view the contest and parade.
CONTEST JUDGING CATEGORIES
- Pup-ular Choice
Best in show! This dog is sporting the all-around favorite look that lets their personality shine through.
- Dynamic Duo
Show off the bond you have with your canine companion through coordinated costumes. This pair makes us all want to be part of their pack.
- Art Unleashed
It’s time you teach your dog to appreciate modern and contemporary art. This dog’s art-inspired costume deserves a spot in a museum. Extra points for Hirshhorn-specific references!
HEALTH AND SAFETY GUIDELINES
- This program takes place outdoors in the Hirshhorn Sculpture Garden on the National Mall.
- Masks are not required for vaccinated guests. Adults and children ages 2 and older who are unvaccinated must wear a mask over their nose and mouth.
- If you or any members of your household are feeling ill, awaiting COVID-19 test results, or under quarantine orders, please stay home.
By registering for this event, you agree to the following:
- No more than 2 dogs per adult handler.
- Each dog must be on a leash no longer than six feet at all times and under the control of their adult handlers. No retractable leashes.
- To protect the garden’s plant life and sculptures, stay in designated areas (the path and grassy areas). Dogs are not permitted in planting beds.
- Please have your dog(s) use the relief pads stationed throughout the garden.
- You are required to clean up after your dog with pet waste bags and dispose of the bags properly. Trash receptacles will be accessible throughout the space.
- The Hirshhorn reserves the right to refuse entry or remove any dog thought to be harmful to visitors, other dogs, or property, without refund. Aggressive dogs are not permitted in the Sculpture Garden.
- Dogs must have current license and rabies vaccination tags.
Owner and Founder, District Dogs
MASTER OF CEREMONIES
Adam and Lisa Palmer
Elizabeth Miller and Dan Sallick
Program Manager, Apple
Violeta Edelman & Robb Duncan
Founders Dolcezza Gelato
Matthew & Kathryn Indre
Founder | Director
Founder and CEO, Framebridge
Co-Founder, Chief Creative Officer at Creative Theory Agency
PAC (Pup art committee)
- Brinkley (@brinkleyfromva)
- Colby and Bleu (@colbycheesedoodle)
- Eleanor and Maisey (@dcmongrels)
- Goose (@goosetheboxerr)
- Izzy (@izzy_the_chow)
- Merit (@meritthemini)
- Millie and Hula (@dcbeaglesisters)
Photo courtesy @adventuresofddandbernie