Applications for Spring 2022 are due at 11:59 pm on March 14.
Are you a young creative looking for a way to get your foot inside the door of the museum and studio art world? Make your voice and ideas matter and join the Artlab Collective.
The Artlab Collective (TAC, for short) is a group of 10-15 young people who meet weekly to discuss, design, and bring to life projects and activities to make the Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden a more welcoming and inclusive space for teens.
What will I do?
Using your behind-the-scenes access to the Museum’s collections, exhibitions, programming, and staff, you will:
- Bring Artlab to teens anywhere and everywhere: Design and build a digital online teen space for the Hirshhorn with help from Museum staff
- Leave your mark: Brainstorm future activities and programming for your peers inspired by our collections and exhibitions
- Let your voice be heard: Participate in and provide feedback on Museum-wide projects and initiatives
- Get a glimpse of your future: Learn more about careers in museums and the arts
When is it?
The Artlab Collective meets on Thursdays, 4:30–6 pm. Saturday studio sessions and a spring break intensive are also options, final schedule to be decided by the Collective. We expect applicants to commit to about ten meetings from late March through late May.
Most of our meetings will take place virtually, but TAC will also have the opportunity to meet in person as Smithsonian health and safety regulations allow.
Speaking of safety…
At this time, Artlab protocols require all participants and staff to wear a mask and provide either proof of vaccination or a negative COVID test in order to attend an in-person session.
What’s in it for me?
Leadership and teamwork experience, plus:
- $300 stipend at the completion of your service
- Snacks at every in-person meeting
- A Hirshhorn Insider: FRIEND membership in your name
How should I apply?
Positions are open to any high school student ages 15–19 in the DC metro area who is interested and can commit to attending meetings regularly. No prior participation in the Museum’s teen programming is required.
Applications for Spring 2022 are due at 11:59 pm on March 14. If you have questions, please email email@example.com.