The Sexton

(1883/cast by 1950)

Medardo Rosso, Italian, b. Turin, 1858–1928

Bronze, 17 5/8 x 11 3/4 x 6 3/4 in. (44.8 x 29.7 x 17.0 cm) on base: 17 1/2 x 10 3/4 x 4 in. (44.5 x 27.3 x 10.0 cm)

Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden, Smithsonian Institution, Washington, DC, Gift of Joseph H. Hirshhorn, 1966

Accession Number: 66.4409

Provenance:
General Moech, Milan, 1950s
Widow of General Moech, Milan, (from death of General Moech), to June 1961
Peridot Gallery, New York, to 5 June 1961 (through agent Anita De Cristafaro)
Joseph H. Hirshhorn, New York, 5 June 1961-17 May 1966
Gift of Joseph H. Hirshhorn, 1966

Exhibition History:
[MUSEUM OF MODERN ART, New York. "Medardo Rosso," 1963]
OKLAHOMA MUSEUM OF ART, Oklahoma City. "Sculptures from the Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden," 9 August 1984-9 August 1985.

Published References:
BORGHI, MINO. Merdado Rosso (Milan: Edizioni del Milione, 1950), p. 62 (as belonging to General Moech).
BARR, MARGARET SCOLARI. Medardo Rosso (Garden City, NY: Doubleday, 1963), pp. 22-23, no. 32 (although credited to Joseph Hirshhorn, illustration is not HMSG cast).
HUNISAK, JOHN M. Carvings, Casts, and Replicas (Middlebury, Vermont: Middlebury College Museum of Art, 1994), p. 195.

Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden Collection, Symbolism