Create your own pinch pot inspired by artist Yayoi Kusama.
[Time] One hour (plus time for drying)
[Topic] Pattern and Repetition
Watch the video and listen to Layla. What do you see? Describe the colors and shapes. Do you notice any patterns? Talk together about the pumpkin. Does it look real? Why, or why not?
This project requires a day between sculpting and painting in order to give the pinch pot time to dry.
- Gather materials. You’ll need clay or play dough, sculpting tools (pencil, toothpick), paint, and painting tools (brush, toothpick, dry spaghetti).
- Pinch the dough. Roll the clay into a ball, then use your thumb to pinch a hole in the center.
- Shape your pot. You can make a pumpkin or any other shape you like! Use a sculpting tool (a pencil or toothpick will work fine!) to add details.
- Paint your pot. Once the clay dries, add a few coats of color to your pinch pot.
- Add pattern. Use another paint color to add a repeating pattern, like the dots Yayoi Kusama loves so much. Dry spaghetti and toothpicks are great tools for adding dots!
- Give it life. Plant a seedling or add a flower to your pinch pot.