The Hirshhorn offers high-resolution images of collection objects for scholarly, personal, or commercial uses.
- SCHOLARLY: Includes academic publications such as catalogues and peer-reviewed articles or entries.
- PERSONAL USE: Includes educational or research purposes only and may not be published or reproduced.
- COMMERCIAL: Includes, but not limited to, textbooks, for-profit publications, commercial television, video reproductions, and printed material available to a wider audience. The Hirshhorn works with Smithsonian Enterprises to write a contract and determine fees appropriate to the type of request. Photo Services Fees still apply and will be added to the Smithsonian Enterprises invoice. All Commercial Requests require 3 weeks in addition to our normal photo request timeline.
HOW DO I SUBMIT A REQUEST?
All photo requests require eight (8) weeks to process. Requests with shorter deadlines will be subject to a Rush Request fee per requested image.
- $60 for 2-week deadline
- $50 for 3- to 4-week deadline
- $40 for 5- to 6-week deadline
- $30 for 7-week deadline
More information on Image Service fees will be provided after receiving Image Request Form.
All high-resolution images are sent at 300dpi in RGB color and are intended for color reproductions. Images are sent via electronic transfer with a 30-day download window.
Public Domain Works
As of February 25, 2020, the Smithsonian Institution has released millions of collection records and images into the public domain. The Hirshhorn joined this effort by identifying several hundred works of art as CC0, or No Rights Reserved. These works show the CC0 icon on our Collection Search webpage, and available images for these works are free to download for personal and academic purposes. Additional information about Hirshhorn’s Open Access efforts can be found on the Open Access webpage. More information about the Smithsonian’s Open Access efforts can be found on the Open Access website.
Please contact ARS, the United States’ major artist rights holder, for additional rights.
An invoice will be provided outlining the Image Service fees due upon the processing of each request. We accept payment in US dollars by credit card, check, or wire transfer (with additional fees). All fees are nonrefundable. Fees are due prior to receiving permission and the image(s).
RESEARCH REQUESTS (ARCHIVAL RECORDS)
Researchers may request access to artwork archival records to support ongoing research. These records are maintained and updated by the Museum. Preliminary artwork information can be found on our website or the Smithsonian Collections website.
Research Request Forms must be submitted to email@example.com. Staff will scan documents and provide access to digitized records via a secure virtual delivery method. All requests require a minimum of eight (8) weeks to fulfill from form submission date.
There is a $30 scanning fee per artwork requested. We accept payment in US dollars by credit card, check, or wire transfer (with additional fees). All fees are nonrefundable. Fees are due prior to receiving permission and the image(s).
ONSITE VISITS (ARTWORK VIEWING)
Researchers, scholars, and visiting curators may request to view artworks.
Research Request Forms must be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org at least eight (8) weeks in advance of visit. Requestors must provide at least three date options to visit, and must sign agreement in the request form. Visits are dependent on artwork accessibility and staff availability.
Collections Care and Management Department
Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden
P.O. Box 37012
Washington, D.C. 20013-7012